[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ān, and none but Allāh (Alone) knows their meanings.]
2. Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested.
3. And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allāh will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allāh knows all that before putting them to test).
4. Or those who do evil deeds think that they can outstrip Us (i.e., escape Our Punishment)? Evil is that which they judge!
5. Whoever hopes for the Meeting with Allāh, then Allāh's Term is surely coming. and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.
6. And whosoever strives, he strives only for himself. Verily, Allāh is free of all wants from the 'Alamīn (mankind, jinns, and all that exists).
7. Those who believe [in the Oneness of Allāh (Monotheism) and in Messenger Muhammad, and do not apostate because of the harm they receive from the polytheists], and do righteous good deeds, surely, We shall remit from them their evil deeds and shall reward them according to the best of that which they used to do.
8. And We have enjoined on man to be good and dutiful to his parents, but if they strive to make you join with Me (in worship) anything (as a partner) of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not. Unto Me is your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do.
9. And for those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh and other items of Faith) and do righteous good deeds, surely, We shall make them enter in (the enterance of) the righteous (i.e., in Paradise).
10. Of mankind are some who say: "We believe in Allāh," but if they are made to suffer for the sake of Allāh, they consider the trial of mankind as Allāh's punishment, and if victory comes from your Lord, (the hypocrites) will say: "Verily! We were with you (helping you)." Is not Allāh Best Aware of what is in the breast of the 'Alamīn (mankind and jinns).
11. Verily, Allāh knows those who believe, and verily, He knows the hypocrites [i.e., Allāh will test the people with good and hard days to discriminate the good from the wicked (although Allāh knows all that before putting them to test)].
12. And those who disbelieve say to those who believe: "Follow our way and we will verily bear your sins," never will they bear anything of their sins. Surely, they are liars.
13. And verily, they shall bear their own loads, and other loads besides their own, and verily, they shall be questioned on the Day of Resurrection about that which they used to fabricate.
14. And indeed We sent Nūh (Noah) to his people, and he stayed among them a thousand years less fifty years [inviting them to believe in the Oneness of Allāh (Monotheism), and discard the false gods and other deities], and the Deluge overtook them while they were Zālimūn (wrong-doers, polytheists, disbelievers, etc.).
15. Then We saved him and those with him in the ship, and made it (the ship) as an Ayāh (a lesson, a warning, etc.) for the 'Alamīn (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
16. And (remember) Ibrāhim (Abraham) when he said to his people: "Worship Allāh (Alone), and fear Him, that is better for you if you did but know.
17. "You worship besides Allāh only idols, and you only invent falsehood. Verily, those whom you worship besides Allāh have no power to give you provision, so seek your provision from Allāh (Alone), and worship Him (Alone), and be grateful to Him. To Him (Alone) you will be brought back.
18. "And if you deny, then nations before you have denied (their Messengers). And the duty of the Messenger is only to convey (the Message) plainly."
19. See they not how Allāh originates creation, then repeats it. Verily, that is easy for Allāh.
20. Say: "Travel in the land and see how (Allāh) originated creation, and then Allāh will bring forth (resurrect) the creation of the Hereafter (i.e., resurrection after death). Verily, Allāh is Able to do all things."
21. He punishes whom He will, and shows mercy to whom He will, and to Him you will be returned.
22. And you cannot escape in the earth or in the heaven. And besides Allāh you have neither any Walī (Protector or Guardian) nor any Helper.
23. And those who disbelieve in the Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allāh and the Meeting with Him, it is they who have no hope of My Mercy, and it is they who will (have) a painful torment.
24. So nothing was the answer of [Ibrāhīm's (Abraham)] people except that they said: "Kill him or burn him." Then Allāh saved him from the fire. Verily, in this are indeed signs for a people who believe.
25. And [Ibrāhim (Abraham)] said: "You have taken (for worship) idols instead of Allāh, and the love between you is only in the life of this world, but on the Day of Resurrection, you shall disown each other, and curse each other, and your abode will be the Fire, and you shall have no helper."
26. So Lout (Lot) believed in him [Ibrāhim's (Abraham) Message of Islāmic Monotheism]. He [Ibrāhim (Abraham)] said: "I will emigrate for the sake of my Lord. Verily, He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise."
27. And We bestowed on him [Ibrāhim (Abraham)], Ishāque (Isaac) and Ya'qūb (Jacob), and ordained among his offspring Prophethood and the Book [i.e., the Taurāt (Torah) (to MūsaMoses), the Injeel (Gospel) (to 'IesaJesus), the Qur'ān (to Muhammad), all from the offspring of Ibrāhim (Abraham)], and We granted him his reward in this world, and verily, in the Hereafter he is indeed among the righteous.
28. And (remember) Lout (Lot), when he said to his people: "You commit Al-Fāhishah (sodomy the worst sin) which none has preceded you in (committing) it in the 'Alamīn (mankind and jinns)."
29. "Verily, you do sodomy with men, and rob the wayfarer (travellers, etc.)! And practise Al-Munkar (disbelief and polytheism and every kind of evil wicked deed) in your meetings." But his people gave no answer except, that they said: "Bring Allāh's Torment upon us if you are one of the truthful."
30. He said: "My Lord! Give me victory over the people who are Mufsidūn (those who commit great crimes and sins, oppressors, tyrants, mischief-makers, corrupts).
31. And when Our Messengers came to Ibrāhim (Abraham) with the glad tidings they said: "Verily, we are going to destroy the people of this [Lout's (Lot's)] town (i.e., the town of Sodom in Palestine) truly, its people have been Zālimūn [wrong-doers, polytheists, and disobedient to Allāh, and have also belied their Messenger Lout (Lot)]."
32. Ibrāhim (Abraham) said: "But there is Lout (Lot) in it." They said:"We know better who is there, we will verily save him [Lout (Lot)] and his family, except his wife, she will be of those who remain behind (i.e., she will be destroyed along with those who will be destroyed from her folk)."
33. And when Our Messengers came to Lout (Lot), he was grieved because of them, and felt straitened on their account. They said: "Have no fear, and do not grieve! Truly, we shall save you and your family, except your wife, she will be of those who remain behind (i.e., she will be destroyed along with those who will be destroyed from her folk).
34. Verily, we are about to bring down on the people of this town a great torment from the sky, because they have been rebellious (against Allāh's Command)."
35. And indeed We have left thereof an evident Ayāh (a lesson and a warning and a sign the place where the Dead Sea is now in Palestine) for a folk who understand.
36. And to (the people of) Madyan (Midian), We sent their brother Shu'aib (Shuaib). He said: "O my people! Worship Allāh, and hope for (the reward of good deeds by worshipping Allāh Alone, on) the last Day, and commit no mischief on the earth as Mufsidūn (those who commit great crimes, oppressors, tyrants, mischief-makers, corrupts).
37. And they belied him [Shu'aib (Shuaib)], so the earthquake seized them, and they lay (dead), prostrate in their dwellings.
38. And 'Ad and Thamūd (people)! And indeed (their destruction) is clearly apparent to you from their (ruined) dwellings. Shaitān (Satan) made their deeds fair-seeming to them, and turned them away from the (Right) Path, though they were intelligent.
39. And (We destroyed also) Qārūn (Korah), Fir'aun (Pharaoh), and Hāmān. And indeed Mūsa (Moses) came to them with clear Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), but they were arrogant in the land, yet they could not outstrip Us (escape Our punishment).
40. So We punished each (of them) for his sins, of them were some on whom We sent Hāsiban (a violent wind with shower of stones) [as the people of Lout (Lot)], and of them were some who were overtaken by AsSaihah [tormentawful cry, etc. (as Thamūd or Shu'aib's people)], and of them were some whom We caused the earth to swallow [as Qārūn (Korah)], and of them were some whom We drowned [as the people of Nūh (Noah), or Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and his people]. It was not Allāh Who wronged them, but they wronged themselves.
41. The likeness of those who take Auliyā' (protectors and helpers) other than Allāh is as the likeness of a spider, who builds (for itself) a house, but verily, the frailest (weakest) of houses is the spider's house; if they but knew.
42. Verily, Allāh knows what things they invoke instead of Him. He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.
43. And these similitudes We put forward for mankind, but none will understand them except those who have knowledge (of Allāh and His Signs, etc.).
44. (Allāh says to His Prophet Muhammad): "Allāh (Alone) created the heavens and the earth with truth (and none shared Him in their creation)." Verily! Therein is surely a sign for those who believe.
45. Recite (O Muhammad) what has been revealed to you of the Book (the Qur'ān), and perform As-Salāt (IqamātasSalāt). Verily, As-Salāt (the prayer) prevents from Al-Fahshā' (i.e., great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse, etc.) and Al-Munkar (i.e., disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed, etc.) and the remembering (praising, etc.) of (you by) Allāh (in front of the angels) is greater indeed [than your remembering (praising, etc.) Allāh in prayers, etc.]. And Allāh knows what you do.
46. And argue not with the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), unless it be in (a way) that is better (with good words and in good manner, inviting them to Islāmic Monotheism with His Verses), except with such of them as do wrong, and say (to them): "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you; our Ilāh (God) and your Ilāh (God) is One (i.e., Allāh), and to Him we have submitted (as Muslims)."
47. And thus We have sent down the Book (i.e., this Qur“an) to you (O Muhammad), and those whom We gave the Scripture [the Taurāt (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel) aforetime] believe therein as also do some of these (who are present with you now like 'Abdullāh bin Salām) and none but the disbelievers reject Our Ayāt (proofs, signs, verses, lessons, etc., and deny Our Oneness of Lordship and Our Oneness of worship and Our Oneness of Our Names and Qualities: i.e., Islāmic Monotheism).
48. Neither did you (O Muhammad) read any book before it (this Qur'ān), nor did you write any book (whatsoever) with your right hand. In that case, indeed, the followers of falsehood might have doubted.
49. Nay, but they, the clear Ayāt [i.e., the description and the qualities of Prophet Muhammad written like verses in the Taurāt (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] are preserved in the breasts of those who have been given knowledge (from the people of the Scriptures). And none but the Zālimūn (polytheists and wrongdoers, etc.) deny Our Ayāt (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.).
50. And they say: "Why are not signs sent down to him from his Lord? Say: "The signs are only with Allāh, and I am only a plain warner."
51. Is it not sufficient for them that We have sent down to you the Book (the Qur'ān) which is recited to them? Verily, herein is mercy and a reminder (or an admonition) for a people who believe.
52. Say (to them O Muhammad): "Sufficient is Allāh for a witness between me and you. He knows what is in the heavens and on earth." And those who believe in Bātil (all false deities other than Allāh), and disbelieve in Allāh and (in His Oneness), it is they who are the losers.
53. And they ask you to hasten on the torment (for them), and had it not been for a term appointed, the torment would certainly have come to them. And surely, it will come upon them suddenly while they perceive not!
54. They ask you to hasten on the torment. And verily! Hell, of a surety, will encompass the disbelievers.
55. On the Day when the torment (Hell-fire) shall cover them from above them and from underneath their feet, and it will be said: "Taste what you used to do."
56. O My slaves who believe! Certainly, spacious is My earth. Therefore worship Me (Alone)."
57. Everyone shall taste the death. Then unto Us you shall be returned.
58. And those who believe (in the Oneness of Allāh Islāmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, to them We shall surely give lofty dwellings in Paradise, underneath which rivers flow, to live therein forever. Excellent is the reward of the workers.
59. Those who are patient, and put their trust (only) in their Lord (Allāh).
60. And so many a moving (living) creature there is, that carries not its own provision! Allāh provides for it and for you. And He is the All-Hearer, the AllKnower.
61. If you were to ask them: "Who has created the heavens and the earth and subjected the sun and the moon?" They will surely reply: "Allāh." How then are they deviating (as polytheists and disbelievers)?
62. Allāh enlarges the provision for whom He wills of His slaves, and straitens it for whom (He wills). Verily, Allāh is the AllKnower of everything.
63. If you were to ask them: "Who sends down water (rain) from the sky, and gives life therewith to the earth after its death?" They will surely reply: "Allāh." Say: "All the praises and thanks be to Allāh!" Nay! Most of them have no sense.
64. And this life of the world is only amusement and play! Verily, the home of the Hereafter, that is the life indeed (i.e., the eternal life that will never end), if they but knew
65. And when they embark on a ship, they invoke Allāh, making their Faith pure for Him only, but when He brings them safely to land, behold, they give a share of their worship to others.
66. So that they become ingrate for that which We have given them, and that they take their enjoyment (as a warning and a threat), but they will come to know.
67. Have they not seen that We have made (Makkah) a sanctuary secure, and that men are being snatched away from all around them? Then do they believe in Bātil (falsehoodpolytheism, idols and all deities other than Allāh), and deny (become ingrate for) the Graces of Allāh?
68. And who does more wrong than he who invents a lie against Allāh or denies the truth (Muhammad and his doctrine of Islāmic Monotheism and this Qur'ān), when it comes to him? Is there not a dwelling in Hell for disbelievers (in the Oneness of Allāh and in His Messenger Muhammad)?
69. As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our Paths (i.e., Allāh's ReligionIslāmic Monotheism). And verily, Allāh is with the Muhsinūn (good doers)."